Thursday, January 13, 2011

Holy Mole'!

Emails and the internet are indispensible to us in Winter.  Here in Northern Ohio we don't get out as often as we would if we lived in the warmer sunshine states so our outreach is limited to on-line chats and emails.  That's ok by me, though.  I have quite an outreach through my website and facebook along with lots of emails.  I regularly meet new people through these mediums as well as keeping up with old friends and acquaintances.

Another way I've met new people is through dance and fitness training.  Living in the country on country roads is not the best place to walk or ride in nicer weather and near impossible in the winter months.  Never having liked exercise for the sake of exercise I've signed up for Zumba, the latest craze in dance fitness.  Salsa, merengue', cha-cha, ariba!!  Ondole'!  Holy Mole'!  I must be crazy!!  Just to move and learn new steps keeps the interest and excitement up and the hour goes fast when you're having fun.

Of course I can't kick like the tall, thin younger girls in the front row who can keep step perfectly with the instructor.  They look like they could join the Rocketts on Broadway!  I can't even move upper body in time with lower body!  But who cares!?  Not me and certainly no one else.

Strength training...now that's a challenge!  I go religiously now.  When I say 'religiously' I don't mean that kneeling is one of the prolonged postures that I stay in.  Although I had to get an extra padded yoga mat because my knees needed more cushion.  I remember the time I fell off the exercise ball and pulled my diaphragm muscle.  Until then, I hadn't a clue that the diaphragm muscle could be 'pulled'!  It created a sensation much like a hernia but was easily remedied. 

Zumba three nights a week along with strength training on the 4th night is getting me out of the house and away from work.  It is also helping me meet new people.

I have a tendency to hibernate in Winter.  Ok....I have a tendency to hibernate all year long.  Good thing Grandmother PaRisHa is consistent in her attempts to push me out of my shell.  She's always saying "Get Out and Reach Out!"  It's working.  I feel less like a bear these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment