Friday, December 3, 2010

More on Natural Stomach Remedies

Many years ago a group of people sat at the feet of a medicine woman of the old ways by the name of Grandmother Parisha.  We were all asked to have an 'experience' with our food so each of us sat with a plate and began to chew.  Chewing alkalinizes food and makes the enzymes from saliva necessary to break it down.  We were asked not to speak or have any conversation and to just 'be' with our food.  Normally, we don't pay attention to how food feels when it touches the tongue.  But if we would just 'be' with food when we eat, we are able to feel immediately if we have an allergic reaction to the food the moment it touches the tongue. 

As I looked around the group everyone was so intent on chewing, it looked to me like what it must have looked like at the Last Supper.  Everyone so solemn, so intent on the task at hand.  Secretly, I was laughing my ample behind off.  But the lesson wasn't lost on me.  I just like laughter and try to get as much of it in during my day as I possibly can.  At my age, my stomach is still in fairly good shape and I owe that to the fact that I enjoy my day and don't stress too much about all the various things that life can throw my way.

What we also learned at that teaching was what to do when your stomach is so out of balance that it becomes life threatening.

A few years ago a lovely woman called me from Florida and said she was dying.  "My stomach has been a mess for many years and now the doctors have taken me off all stomach medication and don't know what to do for me. I can't eat anything at all.  I'm literally starving to death." 

I thanked Grandmother at that moment and furiously began opening the drawers of memory banks to pull out the info she had given us that day.  I took a moment to find the memory and then I gave this woman the information that eventually saved her life.

Grandmother had taught us to remember the Four Sacred Foods that would restore health and balance to any imbalance of the stomach.  From what I could remember, she said that the Four Sacred Foods were corn, rice, squash and beans.  These were the original foods and that they would save a life when all else failed.

Within 2 weeks, this lady called me and said she was on her way back to health.  She had begun immediately to eat only these foods, in any way they could be fixed without frying.  She had begun with the squash (sweet potatoes included) and her stomach felt good.  The squash soothed her stomach and she had no problem with rice (brown rice is best because it has a balanced pH) or green beans.  She was gaining her strength back and she was feeling better day by day.  I saw her about 6 months later and she was fully recovered.

No comments:

Post a Comment